Thursday, March 12, 2020

Water Balloon Fight


As a kid, I lived in a rather large apartment complex in La Habra, California. Since most of the families were Latinos, there were plenty of kids to play with. About ten of us always hung out in the playground and played basketball, soccer and cops and robbers. My friends always found ways to fight boredom. One hot summer day, one of my friends bought a couple bags with 100 balloons each for a few bucks. The manager of the apartments did not allow the use of water balloons in the property. Even if we cleaned up the mess afterwards. We decided to use them in the local park instead. The best place to fill them up was the bathroom and the water fountain. My friend split all the balloons as even as possible. The teams were chosen. Fill up bases selected. Rules established. The fun began. As the tiny amount of plastic and color expanded with the water, I imagined who I wanted to get first. The sink filled with red, green, blue and yellow water grenades for the ultimate summer battle. I carried as many as I could and left the bathroom with haste. One arm held five or six of them and the other held the one I wanted to use first. When I saw my target, I ran as fast as I could and threw a single water balloon with accuracy and got my friend on the back. Before the water dripped from his back to the ground, he retaliated and chased me with his own water power. The chase cornered me with another of his teammates. They attacked me without mercy. My face, back and chest completely soaked from the battle. I defended myself and used up my ammunition. I ran back to the bathroom for safety and reloaded. I immediately joined the battle once again and threw whatever I could carry to my friends. The heat of the sun kept us form giving up. Our clothes heavy with water slowed us down but the battle could not end until the last balloon was thrown. The concrete was dark like it had received a heavy rain. Our hair combed back with our fingers to remove some of the water adsorbed during the fight. We ended the fight and walked to the nearest convenience store to buy a soda and a bag of chips. Our snacks were victoriously enjoyed against the wall while the sun kept us warm and dried our clothes. Before we returned to our respective apartment, we planned the next water balloon fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment