Wednesday, February 5, 2020

The Most Wonderful Food in the World


"The Most Wonderful Food in the World" 
by Daniel Silva Valencia
Plastic and acrylic paint on board (20" x 30") 
February 2020

"The Most Wonderful Food in the World" is the result of something I saw in one of my dreams. I am a bartender by profession. I do art and write in my spare time (as you can see in my blog). I did completed several art and architecture courses during my studies at Fullerton College. Some of my favorite artists include: Andy Warhol, Jackson Pollock, Andrew Wyeth, Georgia O'Keefe, Eugene Delacroix, Jacques-Louis David, David Hockney, Wassily Kandinsky, Salvador Dali, Frida Kahlo, Juan Gris, Roy Lichtenstein, and Giorgio de Chirico. They were my inspiration to be artistic. I immediately began collecting bread ties the following day at work. Once I had a substantial amount, I bought all the materials to complete it. The most difficult part was finding the right glue and board to attach the bread ties securely and straight. After a few trials, I chose a white, heavy-duty art board I found at the local art store (Art Supply Warehouse in Westminster, California). This material worked best for the non-porous surface of the bread ties. The paint was the best part. I used glossy acrylic paint and spent several hours in the application. The colors were chosen to represent a popular and historical brand of bread in America. Some of the dots were strategically placed to further emphasize the brand. Over the course of a week, I applied some of the dots by hand and cleaned up some of the paint which bled on the bread ties. Once it was completed and cured, I applied a micro signature with a special pen. The result is a  juxtaposition of Pop Art and Abstract Expressionism. This is a unique work of art and I am quite please with the result.






No comments:

Post a Comment