Sunday, September 8, 2019

I Don't Blame Video Games

I was a teenager when Play Station first came to the market. The idea of having a videogame console in the form of a CD was extraordinary. I had asked for a Super Nintendo for my birthday. When my parents took me to Best Buy and get one, the Play Station was also on display and it drew the attention of my tech-loving dad. He was persuaded by the salesman by using the advanced attributes the system had such as three-dimensional graphics, memory capability and lack of annoying cartridges which I notoriously "cleaned" like a wolf blowing down a pig's house. We took home the system and the free demo CD which I played over and over until I got my first game--Tomb Raider. I played it and passed it several times. I also had Tomb Raider 2 and 3 and passed them like an expert. Then I had Marvel Versus Capcom, Crash Bandicoot, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Machine Hunter, and Metal Gear Solid. I was never a fan of sports games even though I played soccer and baseball. In my late teens I finally switched consoles and bought an Xbox with Max Payne as my first game for the system. Some of these videogames were rated "T" of "M" for teen and mature respectively. These were games I played over and over and my violent mentality never appeared. To this day I still prefer to avoid any violent confrontation. I didn't have a girlfriend until I was 18. I was an above-average student. And most important, I had a rather strict childhood. I had to do countless chores around the house. I had to wash the cars on weekends. I had to play a sport. I had to maintain passing grades in order to go out with my friends or play videogames. I had to help my mom take care of my younger sisters. All these chores were centered around my videogames. These extra additions were important for maintaining responsible video game playing habits. There is no argument that video games are violent because they are. I've played them. Even Mortal Kombat at my friend's house. What I don't agree is video games being the responsible factor of violence in this country. It can be if the parents allow video games to be above everything else. It is important for the parents to implement chores, extracurricular activities, mandatory good grades, community service and countless other activities which tips the balance to good behavior. Parents, please help keep videogames from becoming the center of a child's life. If Japan can do it, so can we.

No comments:

Post a Comment