Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Remembering Kobe

I was working when I found out about the tragedy of Kobe Bryant and his daughter. A customer of mine who was seated at the bar told me about it and I didn't believe him. I changed the channel on the bar television and it was confirmed. I spent the rest of my shift trying to process the horrible news. After work I called my cousin who works in a small café in Newport Beach, The Wild Strawberry Café, because she knew Kobe as a regular customer at her work. She was in disbelief and cried because of the loss of not only an amazing basketball player, but as a person who frequented her café. I spent the rest of that Sunday listening to the radio and watching the television about the accident and the people who cared and loved Kobe, his daughter and the rest of the passengers.
     I was never a Lakers fan. I am a Warrior fan. However, growing up around many fanatics of the Lakers, I developed an interest in the chemistry between Kobe and Shaq. I followed their career as much as I followed the Warriors. The basketball part was only the beginning. The determination, the winning-mentality, philanthropy, inspiration to millions, Academy Award and other projects made Kobe an inspiration for me. Although I did not think about it until his passing.
     About a week before the helicopter accident, I was struggling with one simple question, "Who is an inspiration to your life?" For some reason I was not able to think about someone because I believed that question should have been reserved for a family member or close friend. My negative relationship with my family has made it difficult to think about answering such question. Kobe Bryant's death uncovered some light and helped me understand the answer I was looking for does not have to rely on family alone. Deep down, I was subconsciously inspired by Kobe. I have been struggling for so many years with my own personal difficulties that any positive lights were clouded by them. Kobe's passing helped me see a little bit of light. It helped me understand there are more lights to be uncovered. It helped me understand to hold on to those who still love me dearly. And most of all, that life is short.

No comments:

Post a Comment