Wednesday, November 6, 2019

The Profit of Cinema

Martin Scorsese is perhaps one of the best directors in the film industry. His opinion when criticizing other works of cinema is worth listening to because he is arguably, an expert in the field. As I transitioned from watching a movie as a pure medium of entertainment to being able to separate quality writing, acting and directing, I understood what the famous director meant about Marvel. When I first saw Goodfellas (1990) I realized his work as a director and writer was indeed worthy of a gold star. It was such movie and many others which helped me analyze and classify a very good movie from a bad one. It is the origin of my personal standards of filmmaking. One of the reasons my inner critic expelled low opinions of Something Borrowed (2011).
     I have seen plenty of movies in the Marvel Universe to see the predictability Mr. Scorsese mentioned about Marvel movies. Just like a roller coaster: its fun to ride it, we know what's coming, and we end at the same place we started. I enjoyed watching those movies because they were fun and action packed and it was the perfect opportunity to spend time with all my friends. The heavy marketing, casting of top actors, and excessive budget is why the movies make enough money to place them at the top of box office charts. This generation of cinema is dominated by the need to recover whatever was invested plus a healthy profit. As I mentioned, the movies are fun to watch but some of the acting, writing and directing is not what I would consider cinema gold but a temporary and successful financial story and opportunity for an actor to grab attention and recognition.
     I believe a good movie is one which takes me to a state of suspension of disbelief and unpredictability while watching it and praise the story line and involvement required to complete it at the end. The Village (2004) by M. Night Shyamalan for example, is an amazing movie with an interesting story line, good acting and writing, and was intertwined with unpredictability. All those elements of filmmaking when executed correctly, can indeed make it worthy of remembrance, watch over and over for deeper analysis and add to a collection.
     The genre is not relevant. Whether its a drama, comedy or fantasy, the gold standard of cinema should be met with the elements of good filmmaking without thinking about the box office. Sure, some will climb to the top of the box office ladder like Titanic (1997) or The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) but those are quality movies and did not make me think about how much money they made until I searched them in boxofficemojo.com for research. In the end, the most important thing about movies is how they make a person feel. If a movie turns stress into happiness*, brings back memories, motivates or just helps with relaxation, then it is a good movie.

My personal recommendations:
     G.I. Jane (1997)
     Alien (1979)
     The Exorcist (1973)
     My Cousin Vinny (1992)
     The Departed (2006)
     Underworld (2003)
     The Village (2004)
     Heat (1995)
     Swordfish (2001)
     Inglorious Basterds (2009)
     Pulp Fiction (1994)
     Casablanca (1942)
     My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002)
     Little Miss Sunshine (2006)
     Logan (2017)
     The Holiday (2006)*

No comments:

Post a Comment